Published: 12 February 2018
I blame Royston Fulford. There was (is) he assured me, a pleasant walk along the Grantham Canal, turning off through the village of Bassingfield and crossing the Skylarks Wildlife Reserve to Blotts. Excellent I thought, a leisurely two and a half hour circular Sunday stroll before lunch.
"Well that's the worst of it" I thought as we climbed over the crash barriers to dash across the A52 Radcliffe Rd., having previously hesitated before doing the same to cross the Lings Bar dual carriage way. Rahel had particularly liked that. "Now the good bit" as we entered the "wheel chair accessible" Skylarks Wildlife Reserve. For the next hour we slipped and slid along the most miserable quagmire of a path, clinging to the wire fence, pulling groin muscles and twisting knees, (ok I exaggerate just one knee and one groin injury, both of them mine) between water logged gravel pits with less visible wild life than the grass verge on the A1.
After 3 and a half hours we staggered home to roast beef and potatoes in a by then, cold oven.
"It was " said Rahel bitterly, "just like being on holiday".
Beer and biscuits
- Banks' Bitter
- Loop Daddy
- A day without beer.
- Silver King
- Red Raven
- Manhattan Project
- Free beer.
- Netherfield Lagoons.
- Ludlow Blondes
- Ilkley Summer
- Midnight Owl
- Dancing Duck
- Bass in the Chestnut
- Harvest Pale
- Slap in the Face
- Elsie Mo
- Green King IPA
- The Famous Grouse
- Piffle Snonker
- Snowhite Pale
- Electric Dreams
- Theakston's Old Peculiar
- Bass - King's Head
- Speculation Ale
- Summer Storm
- Black Sheep
- Citra - The Embankment
- Butcombe Original
- Oakham Citra
- Catch the Rain
- Modern Love
- Postcode Envy
- Shipstones' Goldstar
- American IPA
- Brother Rabbit
- The Outrun - Amy Liptrot.
- The Enemy Within (4th Edition) - Seumas Milne 2014
- Tessa, The Trader's Wife - Louis Becke (1901)
- The End of the Tether - Conrad (1902)
- La Dame Aux Camilias - Alexandre Dumas
- Turn of the Screw - Henry James
- The Beast in the Jungle - Henry James (1903)
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Caroll 1807
- Man and Maid - Elinor Glyn (1922)
- The Hollow Needle - Maurice Leblanc = 1909
- Montpelier Parade - Karl Geary
- Five Run Away Together. - Enid Blyton
- Dracula - Bram Stoker - 1897
- Days Without End - Sebastion Barry (2016)
- The Witch Finders's Sister
- A Week in December - Sebastian Faulks
- The Devil and Miss Prym - Paul Coelho - 2000
- The Long and Winding Road - A Memoir (Alan Johnson 2016)
- William (Richmal Crompton 1929)